Adapted from Marcus Samuelsson, Aquavit Restaurant
For the meatballs:
3/4 pound ground beef
3/4 pound ground pork
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
2 tbsps honey
3 tbsps unsalted butter
salt, pepper, olive oil
For the sauce:
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup cranberry relish
2 tbsps juice from a jar of tiny gherkin pickles
1. SautÃ© onions in hot skillet with olive oil until softened. Let cool and set aside.
2. Make meatballs. In a bowl, mix ground beef and pork with honey, egg, bread crumbs and cream. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Melt butter in the same skillet. Brown meatballs and cook for about 7 minutes. Transfer to a clean plate. Keep skillet on heat and discard the remaining oil and juice except for 1 tablespoon.
4. Make sauce by whisking stock, cream, cranberry and pickle juice in the skillet over medium heat. Simmer and add salt and pepper to taste. Add meatballs and simmer for an extra 5 minutes and until sauce is slightly thickened.
5. Serve with tiny gherkins and top with more cranberry relish.