After my first successful try at making gelÃ©e, I decided to try this Martha Stewart Living recipe. I served it as dessert when family friends from Manila visited New York City. It didn’t match the jerk chicken main course but that’s why I think they were tickled to be eating it to end their night.
1/2 cup apple juice
1 packet unflavored gelatin
1 cup full-bodied red wine, like Zinfandel
1/4 cup sugar
1 pint blackberries
1. Prepare an ice-water bath. Set aside.
2. Add 1/2 cup water and apple juice in a bowl. Sprinkle with gelatin. Let soften for about 5 minutes.
3. Combine wine and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat while stirring to dissolve sugar. Add blackberries, leaving some for garnish, and simmer in reduced heat. Crush blackberries as you stir.
4. Remove saucepan from heat. Slowly stir in hot wine mixture with the gelatin mixture. Transfer bowl to ice-water bath and stir gently to cool.
5. Pour mixture into a plastic bowl to mold. Chill until firm and ready to use.
6. When ready, unmold gelÃ©e and top with a blackberry and a mint leaf.