Adapted from Everyday Food
1 1/5 pounds of boneless beef chuck roast, cut into chunks
4 slices of bacon
4 small carrots, peeled and cut into smaller pieces
a handful of small red potatoes, peeled in the middle and boiled until half-cooked
crimini mushrooms and pearl onions, roasted
1 large onion, sliced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 sprig of thyme
2 tbsps rosemary
1 sprig of parsley
1 cup of red wine
1 small can of tomato paste
1. In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium-low heat until browned. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
2. Raise heat to medium and brown beef cubes in bacon fat, in batches to avoid overcrowding. Transfer browned beef to a bowl.
3. Bring to a boil 1/2 cup water in the same pot while loosening the brown bits at the bottom of the pan. Reduce liquid to a few tablespoons.
4. Add garlic and onions. Cook until softened. Add tomato paste and cook for another minute. Add the beef back with the bacon, rosemary and thyme. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until meat is tender, about 2 hours. Add water to avoid drying up.
5. Add carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, pearl onions and parsley leaves until warm and carrots are tender. Season with salt and pepper.